When you adopt a Havanese puppy, you’re likely looking to spend as much time as possible with your pup. However, there will come a time when you must leave your dog alone in the house. You could be going to work each day, getting groceries for a few hours, or even leaving for several days for vacation. And when you leave your Havanese alone, you will likely worry how they’re coping.
Should you leave your Havanese home alone?
Havanese dogs are highly social, so they don’t cope well with being alone for long periods of time. If your home is left empty for most of the day, your dog will likely get lonely or start suffering from separation anxiety. If you’re thinking about adopting a Havanese puppy, then it’s important to consider your daily routine and how often someone will be at home with your puppy.
How long can your Havanese be alone for?
This answer will vary from dog to dog. Some Havanese dogs will be fine for several hours, while others will struggle with being alone for more than 30 minutes. In general, though, you should avoid leaving your dog home alone for no more than 3 hours.
What to do if you must leave them home alone
Chances are you will, at some point, need to leave your Havanese dog home alone. By taking the proper measures, you can help your Havanese cope with being alone even if you’re gone for more than 3 hours at a time. Here are some ways to get started:
- Get a dog sitter or ask a family or friend to check in on your dog while you’re gone
- Exercise your Havanese before leaving so that they sleep while you’re gone
- Leave behind items that smell like you, such as an old t-shirt
- Provide entertainment through interactive puzzle toys
- Leave the TV or radio on
- Start separation training by gradually increasing how long you keep them alone for
- Crate train your puppy to keep them safe and protected
If you’re looking to adopt a Havanese puppy, Family Puppies is the place to start. Browse through our available puppies or give us a call at 574-354-2428 to learn more!